Challenges and Opportunities Presented by the Growing Number of World Retirees
It’s a Retirees’ World
Patterns in International Retirement Migration
3. Of the 13,905 registered American residents living in the same area, 7,704 are men and 5,283 women of whom 7,486 are renters who live on income from abroad with most spending their time in pursuit of rest and relaxation.
Other Popular Retirement Destinations:
- Proximity to family – 49%
- A good public transport network – 43%
- Fresh air – 35%
- Amenities (bars, restaurants) – 30%
- Culture and entertainment (museums, art galleries, cinema, theatre) – 27%
- Proximity to the countryside – 25%
- Proximity to the sea – 19%
- A large community of other retirees – 7%
- Other – 4%
- None of the above – 11%
Chiang Mai, Thailand :
2. Your money will stretch further than you’ll believe;
3. The healthcare is excellent;
4. The housing is plentiful;
5. Lots of locals speak English;
6. There are over a dozen universities in town;
7. The food is unbelievably tasty.
Phuket, Thailand :
This retirement community is ranked number 22 among the top 30 retirement destinations in the world in November 2013 by bestretirementdestinations.com. It is located on the northeast corner of the recently completed Laguna Village Phase I, The Lofts at Laguna Village are situated in three buildings surrounding a lake with lush landscaping and manicured grounds. Designed to accommodate an active lifestyle, these modern Loft-style apartments are stylish residential properties featuring sleek, trend-setting designs.
The Lofts at Laguna Village
. . . .to be continued.
About the Writer :
Mario G. Zavalla is a seasoned professional who has accumulated 30 years experience in middle and top management positions in private and government corporations engaged in housing finance, commercial and investment banking, retirement promotions, manufacturing, management services and real estate development and marketing. After graduating from the Ateneo de Manila University, he took up MBA subjects at the Ateneo Graduate School of Business.
He is a licensed real estate broker, a member of PAREB-Marikina Valley Real Estate Board Inc. and Philippine Institute of Real Estate Practitioners Inc. (PhilRES). He is an active online member of PAREB-MLS and PAREB Online and runs his own real estate brokerage office using the trade name The LIST and SELL REALTY GROUP, the owner and operator of The PHILISTINGS BANK.